Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Get it, while the getting is good

   As most of you know, I'm kind of what you would call a "Tag Along". My wife and I travel to different US cities, where she works as an RN for hospitals that are under staffed. The first response that I receive when I tell acquaintances that this is what we do, is "Well what do you do while your wife works?" My response to this question did not come so easy in Los Angeles as it has in Albuquerque.
   In Los Angeles I found myself going stir crazy about 3 weeks into the assignment, and convinced myself that I was ready to put myself out there and find some work. I posted Craigslist ads in the gigs section, and started getting up earlier to browse through want ads. I felt pretty confident that I would soon be on my way to contributing to our finances. WRONG! After weeks of responding to dead end ads, and scammers taking advantage of my ads I was discouraged. I even went and sat at a Starbucks for  2 hours talking with a guy that was interested in using me to help him move into his new apartment, just to find out that the guy never intended to use me, he was just bored and needed someone to talk to. Needless to say Los Angeles is not the place for a Husband Of A Traveling Nurse who is looking to make some side cash, and the only money that I made there came from selling a used coffee maker, and a guitar on Craigslist.
    Albuquerque on the other hand, has been the exact opposite. I used the same strategy to find work as I did in Los Angeles only this assignment it paid off. Two days in to my search I received and email from a contractor who needed my help digging trenches for the concrete footing on a house that was being built, he then used me again to help pour the concrete for the footing. While we were pouring the footing, the homeowner who is also a contractor asked for my number, and told me that he would like to use my services for framing the house, and he kept me busy for about a month. Then I received another email from a elderly couple that needed help organizing their deceased relatives belongings for an Estate Sale. While I was doing that I noticed that they were accumulating a large pile of trash in the driveway. I told them that I have a trailer and for a fee I would haul it to the dump for them, which I did and it lead to them calling me back two more times to haul trash away.
    I'm not sure where our next assignment is going to be, but I will leave Albuquerque content. When I think about what it was that I did differently on this assignment compared to the Los Angeles assignment it comes down to this. While on assignment here, I found a Church home, I started reading The Bible more often, and I know some may think of this as a superstition but I Started tithing 10% of what I have been earning back to the Lord. Hope that you enjoyed the read!  Peace!




4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you and your hustle. May you have the same luck wherever life takes you next. I miss my mean friend and your high fives. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts, Matt. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so awesome Matthew. I love you so much. Our yard is so clean.. Thank you!!... Please keep posting about you and Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust and serve God and he will take care of you. Where ever you go, get in a good bible believing church and get involved serving God. He will provide your need according to his riches.

    ReplyDelete